picture of town fountain

Animal Control

News Icon

Snider Plaza REAP Strategy

News Icon

Apply now for the Centennial Master Plan Steering Committee

News Icon

Mosquito Fogging Scheduled for Friday, July 12. 

News Icon

Purse snatching suspect in custody.

News Icon

UPPD and HPDPS asking for public’s assistance to identify burglary suspects    

News Icon

Dive-In Movies, Summer 2019.

animal-control-pictureThe City of University Park is committed to reuniting pets with their families. Residents are encouraged to call the City’s police/fire dispatch center at 214-363-3000 to report a lost or found pet. Please do not call 911 to report a lost or found pet.

The dispatch center keeps a list of all such reports. It includes a description of the pet, and the time and place that it was last seen or found. If the pet reported lost is found, we encourage residents to call the police/fire dispatch center with that information.

Residents of University Park are required by City Ordinance to register all pets and display a numbered animal tag.

By City Ordinance, the owner of each dog or cat more than four (4) months old must obtain a license for each dog or cat. At the time of application for a license, the owner must present a Certificate of Vaccination and pay a licensing fee for each dog and cat.

  • An animal tag may be obtained either in person at City Hall or through the mail.
  • A current rabies certificate is required to obtain an animal tag.
  • The animal tag fee outlined by City ordinance is as follows:
       $10 for altered animals
       $20 for unaltered animals
  • A log receipt, license tag and S-clip are given to the resident for each registered pet.
  • If the animal registration is sent by mail, a current copy of the rabies certificate and the fee should be mailed to:
       Attn: Animal Registration
       City of University Park
       3800 University Blvd.
       University Park, TX 75205
register pet


Effective March 19, 2003 - Rabies Vaccination Change
The Texas Board of Health approved rules that will permit dogs and cats to be vaccinated against rabies every three years instead of annually. Under the new requirements, dogs and cats should be vaccinated at 4 months of age, receive a booster vaccination 12 months later and every three years thereafter. Pet owners and their veterinarians may choose more frequent vaccinations. TDH officials stressed that the change from annual to triennial does not lessen the importance of having pets vaccinated against rabies.

Animal Control Officer
For information concerning the City’s animal regulations and policies, residents are encouraged to contact the Animal Control Officer, Launa Patton, at 214-987-5371 (voicemail) or 214-363-3000 (dispatch). Her email is ldarmofal@uptexas.org.  Launa's hours are Tuesday-Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

To view or download the Animal Control section of City Ordinance, click here.


Is there a Leash Law?
Yes, for dogs.

Is there a Pooper Scooper law?
No, but pet owners are strongly encouraged to clean up after their pets.

Where do I get the City registration for my dog/cat?
Utility Billing Office at City Hall.

Does the City adopt out animals?

What is the limit of animals per household?

What should I do if my neighbor's dogs will not stop barking?
Try letting your neighbor know that his/her dog is a problem. If that does not work, call Animal Control at 214-987-5371 (voicemail) or 214-363-3000 (dispatch center).

What should I do if I am bitten or scratched by an animal?
If the bite or scratch has broken the skin, clean the wound and call Animal Control.  Medical attention may also be appropriate.  
Are exotic animals allowed to live in the city?

What is the procedure for picking up my animal if it has been impounded?

  • Call Animal Control to see if the animal was picked up
  • Check with the clinic to identify the animal
  • Bring rabies certificate to City Hall with the appropriate impoundment fee


What breed of dog is best for you?  This website operated by PetMD is a good place to start your research.

Top Wildlife Myths
Urban area wildlife myths have existed for generations. To counter these long-held misconceptions, The Humane Society of the United States has distributed the following information. Click here to view or download.
Rodent Control
Norway and Roof rats live in close association with people. Both are present in communities across North Texas. The City routinely baits all park areas and inspects all alleys. However, rat sightings are somewhat common during this area's hot and dry summer months. For more information about their characteristics and some methods used to control them, click here.
Bats & Attics
To view or download a copy of a news release from The Humane Society of the United States on bats and their fondness for home attics, click here.
Coyote Sightings
Coyotes sightings most often occur along the banks of Turtle Creek. Biologists say coyotes are now a fact of life in nearly all of urban America. For more information about their habits, click on this article from the Humane Society of the United States.