picture of town fountain

Legal Notices

News Icon

Snider Plaza REAP Strategy

News Icon

Apply now for the Centennial Master Plan Steering Committee

News Icon

Mosquito Fogging Scheduled for Friday, July 12. 

News Icon

Purse snatching suspect in custody.

News Icon

UPPD and HPDPS asking for public’s assistance to identify burglary suspects    

News Icon

Dive-In Movies, Summer 2019.


All legal notices for the City of University Park are published in The Park Cities News, the City’s “official” newspaper. All ordinances passed by the City Council are effective immediately after passage, except when publication of a caption (legal notice) is required. Publication occurs the week after passage of a given ordinance.

Current Legal Notices

Texas Landowner's Bill of Rights

The Texas Landowner's Bill of Rights applies to any attempt by the government or a private entity to take your property. The contents of the Landowner's Bill of Rights are prescribed by the Texas Legislature in Texas Government Code Sec. 402.031 and Chapter 21 of the Texas Property Code.  

This document is subject to update and revision. Please check The Office of Attorney General of Texas website periodically for the most recent version of the Texas Landowner's Bill of Rights. A document version date can be found on the last page in the lower right-hand corner.

      Texas Landowner's Bill of Rights PDF

1.   You are entitled to receive adequate compensation if your property is taken for a public use.

2.   Your property can only be taken for a public use.

3.   Your property can only be taken by a governmental entity or private entity authorized by law to do so.

4.   The entity that wants to take your property must notify you about its interest in taking your property.

5.   The entity proposing to take your property must provide you with an assessment of the adequate compensation for your      property.

6.   The entity proposing to take your property must make a bona fide offer to buy the property before it files a lawsuit to            condemn the property – which means the condemning entity must make a good faith offer that conforms with Chapter 21          of the Texas Property Code.

7.   You may hire an appraiser or other professional to determine the value of your property or to assist you in any                      condemnation proceeding.

8.   You may hire an attorney to negotiate with the condemning entity and to represent you in any legal proceedings involving    the condemnation.

9.   Before your property is condemned, you are entitled to a hearing before a court-appointed panel that includes three             special commissioners. This specialized hearing panel must determine the amount of compensation the condemning                entity owes for the taking of your property. The commissioners must also determine what compensation, if any, you are            entitled to receive for any reduction in value of your remaining property.

10. If you are unsatisfied with the compensation awarded by the special commissioners, or if you question whether the
taking of your property was proper, you have the right to a trial by a judge or jury. If you are dissatisfied with the trial                 
court's judgment, you may appeal that decision.